Monday, October 25, 2010

A reminder of a silly 16 year old girls crush

So, I am a follower of wwdn: In Exile (wil wheaton dot net) and yesterday he posted a pic, then followed up with an article which had the 16 year old girl in me squeeing with delight. the pic is here and the post is here. While the post mentions of little bit of a critique, I just remember Wil's performance in that movie as being great.

Yes, 16 year old me had a huge crush on Wil Wheaton. As many of you know, I'm a geek. I grew up watching Star Trek The Next Generation among other shows. Wil Wheaton may have actually been my first crush as I sat at home watching the earlier TNG episodes with my father. I do remember the brief period of time, only about 6 months actually, where I purchased *gulp* teen magazines and hung pictures of Wil on my walls. A short while later River Pheonix, Jonathan Brandis, Keanu Reeves and Johnny Depp joined him. When I out grew the poster phase, I did recycle them.

I watched Stand by Me many times, but Toy Soldiers always held a place for me. It was a bunch of misfit kids who rallied together to save the day, even if Wil did die, and I found it somewhat inspiring. Plus, it had Sean Austin, Keith Coogan and Wil in there undies for brief periods of time (get it, brief? Okay lame joke) and also had Lou Gossett Jr. in it.  Seeing even a frozen scene made me long for the days when I was 16 and had a school girl crush.

I watched this so much that the VHS copy I had was finally eaten my the VCR and I hunted down a copy on DVD. Maybe tomorrow I'll pop it in and relive the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment