Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Prompt


          A Person      

My grandmother was an important person in my life growing up. I remember that I loved spending time with her. My grandparents lived across the street from us, so we were always over there visiting them. In the summer, when I was at the pool all day, I would go to my grandmothers house for lunch. Our favourite lunch was ham, lettuce and tomato sandwiches on brown bread. To this day, it’s still my favourite sandwich to eat. We would also have Neapolitan ice cream at the end of the day.

I also loved to spend the night there. My grandmother had twin beds in her room. I would sleep over sometimes and she had this reading pillow with arms on it. I would get all propped up in it, and she would read me a story, from a book that used to be my mothers. When she was tired of reading, she would leave me to read the book myself, while she climbed in her bed and read her own book. I think she was a big part of my love of reading. She always had a book on the go, visited the library weekly and was always willing to read to us.

I also remember playing scrabble with her. She had this blue travel scrabble board. I loved to pull it out and play with her. If I didn’t understand a word she played, she would hand be the scrabble dictionary and tell me to look it up. We did this for years, and eventually I beat her, but that took years. I still play scrabble that way. If I play a word someone doesn’t know, or they play one I don’t, look it up.

I also got my love of yarn crafts from her. She was always knitting baby sweaters, booties and hats, either for gifts or for her church to raffle off at the Christmas bazaar. I still have a baby set that she had made before she passed away. She taught me to knit, patiently, as I constantly dropped stitches and picked up new ones. I was never able to hold the needles as she did, or work them at the speed she did, but I still love the work. I only hope my work could be half as beautiful as hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment