Monday, May 25, 2020

The Storm


The Storm

The sky was dark grey and filled with clouds as we stepped onto the beach. The usual warm, soft sand that squished between my little toes was now thick, clumpy and cold. Everything about the usually warm and inviting beach was now cold, as the storm made its way towards us. I looked out into the water, watching it crash against the sand with a harsh snap.
“Come on already.” My brother said as he tugged my hand, moving through the sand
“I don’t know about this.” I said hesitantly, moving slower as I looked at the rough water. “Maybe we shouldn’t…”
“Fine, stay here on the beach, like a baby.” He said as he let go of my hand and ran off to join our cousins in the water.
  The waves were huge and angry, coming down with a force that kept pushing my tiny body to the sand, as I was only 6 and small. I waded in to my knees, and as the waves crashed over me, they hit about shoulder height. I jumped up and down, enjoying the excitement as the white caps hit me. Suddenly there was yelling behind me, hands lifted me out of the water and I was on the cold wet sand again as the other kids walked out of the water miserably. My brother and I stood in front of my father as he looked down at us.
“What do you think you were doing?” He asked us both, then turned to my brother. “You are supposed to look out for your little sister. How was she the only one with the sense to stay at the shoreline? And how could you leave her there? What if something happened, to her, or you?” He said as he pulled us both into a tight hug. He eased back, looked us both dead in the eye and said “By the way, I hope that was fun, you’re both grounded.”

No comments:

Post a Comment