Monday, July 12, 2010

Breaking the block

I've been battling writer's block for a little over a week now. I can't really think of very many things that are worse for a creative person, whether a writer or an artist, than being blocked. This really has been a horrible week, writing wise. I've stared at blank screens seeing nothing but the blinking cursor, cursing and pleading with my mind to just let me make a little hole and get something through.

I tried little exercises, the fruits of those labours are detailed here in my blog, and with the help of photos supplied by my friends, I felt a little creative. Suddenly, a little hole appeared in the wall. It took some chiseling away at it, but each little story made the hole a little bigger. Not all of them are my best work, or something I will keep, but they were the stepping stone I needed.

Tonight I opened Chapter 20 of Ally's Story, with the intent to break through the wall and accomplish something. After almost an hour and only producing 3 paragraphs, I was starting to doubt that I would do what I had aimed for. I was beginning to get really frustrated, and suddenly one of the words I had forced onto the page broke through the wall and it just flowed out of me. I've missed that feeling, the way the story feels when it flows through you as if you have no say in what happens, it just happens.

I'm sure I will sleep much better tonight, and tomorrow I hope to re-enter Ally's mind with ease, the way it's always been.

Thanks to all who supplied me with pictures to jump start my mind. I appreciated the help and support. You guys rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment