Monday, July 5, 2010

A surprise and display of my growth

So, as a result of a pretty traumatic event I went through, I've had some issues dealing with high pressure situations in the last 5 years or so. Most often, when something happens (losing a job, debt news etc), the first thing I tend to is freak out for about 10 minutes (or more depending on the situation), then sit back and reasonably come up with a remedy. I accepted this, and figured that if this was the worst side effect of what I had endured, then I got off lucky. Today, I surprised myself.

About 4:45 this afternoon, there was a huge power failure in Toronto, and my building was effected. Since it was so late in the day, my boss and the guy I work with, had both left for the day. In most jobs, this would mean workers get to go home and enjoy some extra time off, but because I work in a secured location, it meant that I had to check all the access doors to the office, arrange immediate security coverage, and hang around to reset our mag lock system when the power was resumed. Usually the prospect of doing all of this myself would unnerve me and cause me to look like a chicken with her head cut off for the first 20 minutes, but not today.

Today, for some reason, I had a confidence in my ability to handle the situation that I don't normally have. I have said that FT8 had some effects of how I perceive myself, and I think this was an example of that. I had no problems doing what needed to be done, no nerves and I knew I could handle it, even on only 3 and a half hours sleep. When I left the office, 10 hours after I arrived, I had a feeling of accomplishment in myself that I hadn't felt in a really long time.

Now, I am off to get some of the sleep I was lacking last night, and prepare myself for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment