Tuesday, July 20, 2010

How much we rely on technology

Today, around dinner time, I realized that my Blackberry Twitter hadn't notified me of updates in a while. I opened up the application, only to find that it hadn't updated in 4 hours. I cleared the cache, and updated the program, and discovered that there was a problem on the Twitter servers and not a problem with my phone. After doing the update, I am unable to log on at all. *sigh*

I found myself checking it every half hour or so trying to log back in with no success and my frustration was growing, until I sat back and thought about it. It amazes me just how reliant I have become on the technology that is at my fingertips. If my Twitter goes down, my email won't receive or, goodness help us all, my internets completely goes down, it feels almost like I am fully disconnected from the world. I love my tech, really I do, but how did this happen to us? How did we become so reliant on technology that going without it for short periods of time is akin to losing power or water?

It frightens me a little that this is where we have evolved to. I mean, if it is this hard for the people of our generation to survive these little blips in the tech world, how will our children eventually survive the same thing in 10 years time? I think we should all take a step back, from time to time, turn off the tech (trust me, it hurts a tech nerd like me to say this) and get back to a time before iPhones *shudders* and Blackberry's were our lifelines. Maybe doing this once in a while, will give us a new appreciation for the tech we rely on as well as the world that surrounds us.

"The video arcade is down the street. Here we just sell small rectangular objects. They're called books. They require a little effort on your part, and make no bee-bee-bee-bee-beeps. On your way please." -Mr. Koreander from The NeverEnding Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment