Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pic supplied by HeatherMax


Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the hole,
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mole.
The stockings were hung by the tree root with care,
In hopes that Sint-Niklaas soon would be there.

The kindles were nestled all snug in their nests,
While visions of carrots danced in their heads.
And mamma in her blanket, and I in my Santa cap,
Had just settled our noses for a long winter’s nap.

When out on the yard there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the hole to see what was the matter.
Away from the nest I flew like a flash,
Tore out of the hole and ran up the branch.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below.
When, what to my big black eyes should appear,
But a big huge bunny, and eight tinny kindles, quaking with fear.

With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be Sint-Nik.
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he twitched, and hopped, and pointed to each!

"Now Thumper, now Dolly, now Prouncer and Brownie!
On, Hopper, on, Jack, on Peter and Blackie!
To the edge of the garden, and into the fields!
Now hop away, hop away, hop away all!"

As I twitched my nose, and was turning around,
Down the hole Sint-Niklaas hopped with a bound.

He was coved in fur, from his tail to his nose,
And his fur were all covered with soil and rose.
A bundle of treats he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler, just opening his pack.
His eyes-how they twinkled, his cheeks how merry!
His fur smelled like roses, his nose like a berry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the ends of his fur was as covered with snow.
He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself!
A wink of his eye and a twitch of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And filled all the stockings, then turned with a jerk.
And with another simple twitch of his nose
A little hop and up the hole he rose!


*Not as good of an adaptation as I did a few years ago, but still fun*

No comments:

Post a Comment