Sunday, June 20, 2010

A memory...

Today is Father's Day, and I decided that today would be a day where I share a little memory of sorts, from the vault (my mind) of my father, but which one to choose? The first thing my father mentions about me is that I "never knew what it was like to sit in a chair until she was 6, it always had to be daddy's lap." Yes folks, that's right, I was, and still am, a daddy's girl.

My childhood memories of my father are the happiest spots in my memory, and choosing one was hard. Every time I thought of one, the memory I am about to share kept overshadowing the others. Nothing made me happier than spending time with my father, just the two of us. I treasured the "alone" time, which came most often in the morning while my brother slept in.

I remember, most often, watching television with my father. The two of us would wake early, and watch Benny Hill or something else on the television. Most prominently I remember watching Star Trek The Next Generation with my father. It was something that my mother wasn't into and my brother rarely watched, so the two of us would sit down and watch the travels of the star ship Enterprise. I developed a love for the show, and later in life a love for the entire Sci Fi genre, but it all began with Star Trek TNG.

I always think of my father when I sit down to watch an episode on television or DVD, coincidentally, I felt a need to purchase the entire series on DVD. I always enjoy every episode, even the horribly written ones where TNG was trying to find it's legs. I guess a part of me equates Star Trek with the happy feelings I felt while enjoying the "alone" time.

I have often wondered over the years if I would have become interested in Sci Fi without the aid of my father, and if I would love Star Trek TNG as much as I do, if I hadn't watched it as a child, curled up on the couch with my father. I like to think I would, but in reality, I don't care either way, it's nice to have the memory.

Happy Father's Day to all. I urge you to think back and find "that" memory of your own father.

No comments:

Post a Comment